St John's Q&A

Monday, November 27, 2006

Q & A time

Here are some recent questions from bloggers (sorry to some of you for taking so long to answer; there are a lot of questions on this site!):

what is the historical background of celibacy? and can you give me some defense why maintain ceibacy in priesthood?”
Priestly celibacy was instituted by the Roman Catholic Church in the 11th century A.D. Some defense for it can be found in my post on Sept. 14, “The joy of priestly celibacy”

I've never known that we Catholics are not allowed to receive bread and wine in other churches. Once, I went to a Baptist church with my Baptist friend, out of my curiosity, they distributed the bread and wine and I took it, but I didn't pray as when I receive the Holy communion at a Catholic church. Do I commit any sin then?”
Yes, it was a grave offense. But, if you didn’t have full knowledge, then it wasn’t a mortal sin.

Can Catholics be godparents to Non-Catholic children?” Yes, that is permissible.

The money that is collected during "All Soul's Day" does that go towards the upkeep of the church or salaries?”The collection from the Masses on All Souls Day goes toward paying the stipends for priests who offer Masses for all souls during November.

What is the role of a canon lawyer?”
You can read a helpful article about the role of canon lawyers at:
http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1991/9111cg.asp

Father Greg, am I wrong for not giving to panhandlers on the street. I actually offered to buy one something to eat at a hot dog stand instead of giving him money. My wife and I give generously to the Cardinals appeal which supports programs to help these people. I just feel I am the victim of a shakedown when a panhandler approaches.”
I approach panhandlers on the street in the same way you did that once- offer them something (food, clothing, etc.) instead of money (because it might be used inappropriately). Mostly, though, I try and talk with them if possible. That’s one of the main things they really want – is to talk to someone. They are real people and want to be treated that way by others. Even if it’s a quick encounter, I ask them their first name, and pray for them. There are people on the street I met years ago that I still pray for every day! That is the best thing you can do for them after talking with them, if you ask me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Counter